Last Updated: September 1, 2020
Note on EarthRanger Products
Information we collect
"Personal information" is information that can personally identify you, such as your name or email address. Personal Information also includes other data that can reasonably be linked to personally identifiable information. Personal information can be provided directly by you or indirectly through your activities when you use the Site or EarthRanger Products. The following provides more details on the types of personal information we may collect:
- Contact Information.
- Site. If you use the “Contact Us” form on the Site, you will be asked to provide your first name, last name, company name, country where you are located, email address, phone number and your comments. We will use the information you provide only for the purpose of contacting you about the question or comments you have submitted.
- EarthRanger Products. If you are a customer or user of the SaaS Service, you may provide personal information with your user account or when you opt-in or subscribe to optional features of the SaaS Service (e.g. SMS alerts), such as your first name, last name, email address and phone number. You may also provide your contact information when you request support services for EarthRanger Products. Vulcan will only use your contact information in accordance with the EarthRanger Terms to provide the EarthRanger Products to you, including any associated technical, administrative and support services.
- SaaS Service. If you are a customer or user of the SaaS Service, the SaaS Service will prompt you to give permission to share your location. If you enable location sharing, the location data that is transmitted will be stored within the SaaS Service. We will only use such location data to provide the SaaS Service to you.
- Applications. If you use an Application that employs global position system (GPS) technology, we collect the geolocation data transmitted through your device when you are logged into the Application. Since Applications interoperate with the SaaS Service, your location data from an Application may also transmit to the SaaS Service. Location data from the Application that is transmitted to the SaaS Service will be stored within the SaaS Service. Location data from your device may also be temporarily stored within the Application. For example, if you use the EarthRanger Track Application, the location data of your device’s last position is stored within the Application when you log out until the next time you log in. Upon your next login, the location data of your device’s last position is deleted within EarthRanger Track and we do not retain such historic location data within the Application.
- Browsers and devices. We collect certain information about the browsers and devices you use to access the Site and EarthRanger Products, which includes unique identifiers. Unique identifiers are cookie files used to uniquely identify a browser or device. Please see the section below on “How we collect your information” for more information on cookies.
- IP address. We collect your Internet Protocol (IP) address whenever you visit the Site or SaaS Service, which is a number automatically assigned to your computer or device when you browse the internet. These numbers are usually assigned based on geography, so an IP address can often be used to identify the general geographic area of where a device is connecting to the internet. We use your IP address to administer and address technical issues with the Site and EarthRanger Products.
- Use statistics. We collect information about how your browsers and devices interact with the Site and EarthRanger Products, including crash reports, system activity, and the date, time and referrer URL (the webpage you came from if you clicked a link to the Site or to access any EarthRanger Products). We also collect statistical information about activity on the Site and EarthRanger Products, including web traffic, and the date, time, duration and number of visits.
How we collect your information
- Strictly Necessary Cookies. "Strictly Necessary Cookies" are cookies that are necessary for a website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. We use Strictly Necessary Cookies, which are first party session cookies for load balancing so that visitor page requests are routed to the same server in any browsing session. Session cookies are stored in temporary memory and erased when you close your web browser.
- Performance Cookies. "Performance Cookies" are cookies that allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of a website.
In order to provide the Site and EarthRanger Products to you, we may share Aggregate Data with third parties, such as vendors performing functions on our behalf for the Site or EarthRanger Products. For example, we may use third party security software to maintain security features of the Site and EarthRanger Products, and Aggregate Data may be shared with the software provider for the software to perform its required tasks.
Managing your information
You may manage your cookies at any time through the cookie settings on the Site and SaaS Service. Please note that if you change your settings to opt out of receiving cookies, it will not retroactively delete or remove any previously collected information, but it will prevent your information from being shared through such cookies from that point on.
- Within the US. If the Site or SaaS Service detects that your IP address is from a location within the United States, you will be prompted to accept or reject cookies when you first visit the Site. If you accept, you accept all of the cookies specified in the “Cookies” section above. If you take no action, you will be deemed as having accepted the cookies. If you opt out, you will be directed to a settings page where you can select which cookies to opt out of receiving. You cannot, however, opt out of Strictly Necessary Cookies, but you can configure your browser settings to block or alert you about them. If you block Strictly Necessary Cookies, some parts of the Site or SaaS Service will have degraded performance or will not work. You can turn off cookies in your browser settings at any time, and delete previously saved cookies and other browsing data by clearing your browsing data and history.
- Outside of the US. If the Site or SaaS Service detects that your IP address is from a location outside of the United States, all of the same apply as above, except if you take no action to accept or reject cookies, you will be deemed as having rejected the cookies.
Google Web Tools
You can manage how your information is shared and used with Google Web Tools as follows:
- Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on. Google has developed a browser add-on tool to enable visitors of websites with Google cookies and tags to prevent Google Analytics from receiving their information. This add-on will not prevent websites from collecting information through other first-party or third-party cookies and tags. You can download and install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on to begin using this tool.
- Google settings. In addition to above, you can manage how Google uses the information obtained through Google Web Tools and other cookies, and how it interacts with other Google products by changing the settings in your Google account. For example, you can restrict personalization features used in Google ads by changing your preference settings in your Google account to prevent use for targeted ads and content. Please review Google’s Privacy Controls for more general information on how you can configure various privacy and share settings through Google.
- Third party tools. Third parties have also developed mechanisms for opting out of various cookies that use and share information collected from Google Web Tools and other sources for advertising purposes. For US-based users, the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) WebChoices is a tool that enables you to view and manage the cookies used for online advertising. For EU-based users, there is Your Online Choices.
Third party content
Except for the information described in the "Information we collect" section above, we do not request, accept or knowingly collect any other personal information directly from you on the Site, including any submissions, confidential information or proprietary information. If we inadvertently or incidentally receive such information, we are not bound by any obligations and your information may be used without limitation. If we discover we have received any such information in error, we will take steps to delete such data as soon as possible without notice.
Protection of Children's Personal Information
The Site is for a general audience and we do not knowingly collect personal information from minors (individuals under the age of 13, or equivalent minimum age depending on jurisdiction). If we discover that we have collected personal information from a minor, we will take steps to delete such data as soon as possible without notice.
We are committed to protecting the security of your information. Information collected from the Site will be stored and processed in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States and visit the Site, you permit us to transfer your information outside of your country.
Disclosures for Legal Reasons
We may disclose or use your personal information in any manner without obligation or liability to you for the following reasons: (1) to comply with applicable laws, (2) to defend the legal rights of Vulcan or others, (3) to act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of the public or users of the Site or EarthRanger Products, or (4) in the event that all or part of Vulcan’s business or operations are transferred through a merger, acquisition or sale.
California Residents: Your California Privacy Rights
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) effective as of January 1, 2020 is a law that protects the privacy rights of California residents by putting certain requirements on how businesses collect and use personal information. Vulcan is committed to take the necessary measures to protect your personal information and comply with the CCPA as the specific requirements and application of the rules continue to develop over time. As part of this commitment, the cookie settings are available in the footer of the Site for you to change your settings any time.
European Union (EU) Residents: Your Privacy Rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
If you are located in the EU, we will collect personal information only if we have one or more legal bases for doing so under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The legal bases depend on your interaction with the Site. We will only collect personal information from you where: (i) you have given your consent for one or more specific purposes; (ii) it is necessary to perform a contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you; (iii) it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests; (iv) it is necessary to protect the vital interests of you or another natural person; or (v) it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation.